The past few days have been quite an experience trying to install Ubuntu on an old Dell D620. The machine can’t run Windows effectively anymore, but I thought that it might still be able to handle the load of Linux. I was right about that, but it has been a pain in the butt getting the wireless card working on the machine. Everything that Google returns offers different answers, but I am going to list what I have done to get it fixed.
- Get rid of the driver installed by Additional Drivers.
- Go to System Settings -> Additional Drivers
- Remove the Driver that was installed
- Install the Broadcom Drivers through Software Manager
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
- Edit the Modprode Blacklist
cd /etc/modprobe.d nano blacklist.conf
- Find the line that mentions bcm43xx and place a # before it.