A few weeks ago, a person at a forum that I visit regularly gave away a pretty cool domain name. When I saw it, I instantly wanted to get it and make a password generator out of it. I use one all the time for random stuff, and I wanted something that I know how it works. So, I did just that. You can find the site over at http://solid.pw. It uses freely available open-source software, and you can find more information about this on the About page.
The site is a pretty simple site that allows you to generate random passwords based on different settings. It is really nothing to write home about, but it is mine! I will use it pretty heavily, and I hope that other people can find some use for it.
Let me know what you think.
Yesterday, I took the time to update my ISPConfig 3 Theme. I call this theme ISPConfig Clean. It just seemed like a good idea at the time, and you can’t really go back on that. It is a cleaner version of the default theme that ships with ISPConfig 3. I use or used the styling that is on the ISPConfig website as a base, and I am still working on it. I will be converting it over to SASS and Compass pretty soon. I just have to clean up a lot of things that are still in there. I will be constantly pushing updates to the Github Repo as I have time. This version will only work with 3.0.5. The older version for 3.0.4 is still available, but I will no longer be maintaining it.
Here are some pics of it.
It seems to me that everyone is starting to do this, and I thought that I should jump on the bandwagon as well. I don’t really know why I did it, but I am now running this bad boy with Git, BitBucket, and a shell script that runs to automatically pull the repository on my server. It seems to work pretty well so far, but I have only been using for a few hours.
The reason that I set this up is because I have made a lot of changes to theme of my website, and I got tired of having to use FTP/SFTP to put the files there. It does not seem like the efficient thing to do, and I didn’t want to do that anymore. After searching on the Internet for an hour or so I found a solution using a script called deploy.php, but I did not like that anyone could get access to it.
There had to be a better way, and I think that I found it using the Linux cronjob and bash script to run some commands for me. It might put some minimal extra load on my VPS, but I don’t think that it will be noticeable. I would like to set up something like WP Stack, but it seems like it is a pain to set up. I might look into it more later, but I think that I will stick with this for a few days or weeks. It is way better than what I have.
The only bad thing about doing this is having to update my plugins in development first. I am not super thrilled about that. I guess that I could exclude that directory, but I have a custom plugin for this site that I do some work on at times. It handles my Custom Post Types, and I try to tweak it to make it slightly better now and then. I am also not sure how to handle the database changes that the plugin might need to make. I guess I will have to find some way to dump the database and then import it to the production server. I do not want to get into the habit of taking a dump and uploading it constantly. That is not fun!
The past few days have been quite an experience trying to install Ubuntu on an old Dell D620. The machine can’t run Windows effectively anymore, but I thought that it might still be able to handle the load of Linux. I was right about that, but it has been a pain in the butt getting the wireless card working on the machine. Everything that Google returns offers different answers, but I am going to list what I have done to get it fixed.
- Get rid of the driver installed by Additional Drivers.
- Go to System Settings -> Additional Drivers
- Remove the Driver that was installed
- Install the Broadcom Drivers through Software Manager
- Edit the Modprode Blacklist
For awhile, I have wanted to run my own URL shortener, and I made that desire a reality a long time ago. I just never posted about it. I am not really sure why. I was pretty excited about it, but I never told anyone. There are still some people that have found it, but I was hoping that I could open it up to people who happen to read this blog.
The hardest part about the whole thing was finding the correct name. I wanted something that was short and easy to understand. This is where dcrs.me comes in. It is the word decrease without the vowels. I thought that it was pretty clever. If you want to use it, go ahead. It has a public interface for it, and I can set you up a secret key so that you can automatically post to it. It is what I use for this site.
So check it out at http://dcrs.me!